Sudden Leadership - A Survival Guide for Physicians
Please contact Malcolm directly for bulk (10 or more) organizational orders as direct from publisher discounts are available
If you have been tapped on the shoulder to take on a formal or informal physician, medical, healthcare or technical field leadership role, and are wondering "How do I do this?", this book is written is especially for you.
Sudden Leadership follows the early leadership journeys of two fictitious physicians. For each scenario in which the characters find themselves, Dr. Ogborn reviews relevant, evidence-based literature and offers pragmatic and field-tested approaches that allow new professional leaders to face their challenges with confidence. Topics include
- defining your leadership, including knowing when to take a leadership role and when to turn it down
- attracting and, more importantly, engaging followers and knowing when to lead by being a good follower
- motivating and managing others doing the work and mastering the skills of delegation
- running meetings that actually work rather than get in the way of work
- handling tough conversations skilfully to achieve progress not confrontation
- strong team leadership by embracing the natural development of teams and skillfully adapting your leadership style to changing team needs
- mastering time allocation by understanding how you think about time, how you make time related decisions, and how you hold your self accountable for good use of your time.
- successfully managing conflict as an inevitable and surprisingly productive part of human experience.
- preventing burnout by recognizing it as an occupational phenomenon, not a mental illness
- leading change or system improvement through clear targeting, familiarity with the determinants of change acceptance, well-planned and skilled advocacy and effective recruitment of a change team and allies
Engaging and educational, Sudden Leadership will make a vital addition to any professional's library.
Praise for Sudden Leadership
About the Author
DR. MALCOLM OGBORN serves as a professional physician coach and leadership development consultant with a special focus in partnering with early career leaders and leaders working in remote and rural areas....READ MORE